Saturday, November 05, 2005

Entry 4 - Nov. 5, 2005

Okay, I lied when I said I've put down my crocheting for now. Typing about it in my last post has grabbed my attention again. I decided to sit down and really practice my chain stitches. Before, I would make them all sloppy and loose, or really difficult to work with because I held my yarn too tightly. Similar to practicing scales on a piano, I've been making ten chain stitches, frogging them all, and then repeating them over and over. Subsequently, my yarn is starting to look at little frayed, but it's very durable. I'm using Caron Simply Soft right now in a rich dark violet. I really love this yarn for the color, the amount of abuse it can take and the feel of it. So what if it's acrylic? :)

I read an interesting discussion on the forums concerning knit versus crochet on the addictive Knitter's Review website. So much helpful advice! I was surprised to read that crochet is sometimes viewed negatively as inferior to knitting. I think they both are good crafts, although the variety of excellent patterns currently favor knitting in my point of view. Crocheting is somewhat playing catch-up in modernizing the pattern styles of clothing. I was leafing through some pictures of different Crochet stitches at my local Barnes and Noble and my excitement grew for crocheting. So many beautiful stitch patterns! It was so visually inspirational! I didn't buy the book though because I figured I better just concentrate on mastering the basics first. One baby stitch at a time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home